Students Encouraged to Enter Sigma Tau Delta Poetry Contest
Submission Deadline is March 14, 2018
University Relations and Communications, 657-2266
MSU BILLINGS NEWS SERVICES — Entries are now open for the Sigma Tau Delta poetry contest.Deadline to enter is March 14, 2018.
Each year, the Montana State University Billings branch of Sigma Tau Delta, the English honor society, sponsors a poetry contest for all MSU Billings students. This is a chance for students interested in creative writing to be recognized for the quality of their work.
It is open to all students in two-year, four-year or graduate programs. The contest will award up to five cash prizes, and every winner also receives a certificate.
The prizes are:
- $25 for first prize
- $15 second prize
- $10 third prize
- 2 $5 honorable mentions
The judges are faculty in the MSU Billings English/Philosophy department and/or local poets. Winning poems will be displayed on the fourth floor of the Liberal Arts Building and submitted to The Retort and The Rook with the poets’ permission. Entries will not be returned, and only winners will be contacted.
- Students should submit 4 (FOUR) anonymous typed copies of each poem with just 1 (ONE) separate cover sheet FOR ALL ENTRIES stating name, address/email,
phone number, and poem title(s)
- Upper limit of 3 different poems per person, with a title on EACHpoem
- There is NO entry fee
- Deadline for entry is Wednesday, March 14, 2018
- Bring entries to the Department of English, Philosophy and Modern Languages office, LA 400; send them to the English Dept. through campus mail; or give them to Rachel Schaffer (LA 426)
- Substantive content
- Precise language and concrete images
- Avoidance of unintentional ambiguities
- Careful editing and proofreading
- Demonstrated knowledge of and active engagement with poetic techniques and devices
Please pass this along to students who may be interested.
For more information, contact Rachel Schaffer, Sigma Tau Delta faculty advisor, at 657-2954, email@example.com, LA 426.